You are visiting the "1850-1899" page. Links on the right will take you to other pages within the "Timeline" section. The links with asterisks in front will return you to either the parent or "Home" pages.
Click on any item in the Links column below to view the material. Then click on the "back" button to return to this page.

DATES: Circa dates are designated with a "c." in front of the year. When an artist, photographer, or creator has been identified by name, but the date of the work attributed to that person is unknown, a "d." designation was placed in front of the date representing when the creator died.

COPYRIGHT

© PLEASE READ:  Every reasonable attempt was made to secure copyright permission for all materials.

In this regard, some copyrights have expired. In other cases, the doctrine of "fair use" applies as this is an educational website. No monies have been collected to fund this website or any of the materials thereon. The copyright statement at the bottom of each website page indicates how to contact a representative for this website if any copyright appears to be violated.

Where licensing fees were paid for use of photographs, please be aware that the license allows use of such photographs on this website only. No image should be reproduced without contacting the copyright holder.

In other instances, licensing fees were not paid, but the article, photograph or other material  belongs to a library, magazine, or an individual.  Again, no item should be reproduced without contacting the copyright holder.


 

1900-1919

1920-1949

1950-2000s

Pre-1700s

1700-1849

*Timeline

*History

*Home

Date
 
Links
 
Description

1859

     

The first dog show in the U.K. was at Newcastle. According to the "Field" dated May 28, 1859, it stated "A show of setters and pointers is determined on at Newcastle-on-Tyne,..." The show took place June 28, 1859.

         

1859

 

Walsh-Stonehenge

 

John Henry Walsh (1810-1888) using the pseudonym of "Stonehenge, wrote The Dog. In Health and Disease, etc. London: Longman, Green (1859). He seemed to borrow heavily from William Youatt (1845 entry). This link will provide a listing of his books, and although he used different collie pictures in various issues of his Dogs of the British Islands, published in several editions from 1867 through 1886, he did not seem to know anything about Beardie-like dogs.

         

d.1865

 

Herring Painting

 

John Frederick Herring, Sr. (1795-1865) did a painting entitled "Hound and Bearded Collie on a Hunt Coat."

         

1865

 

Sketches of Highland Character

 

A book entitled Sketches of Highland Character: Sheep-farmers and Drovers, (1873) was first published in 1865 as part of four works in one volume in Odds and Ends by Edmonston & Douglas, Edinburgh. The 1873 book was illustrated by W. Ralston. William Ralston (1848-1911) was an illustrator and artist who later also did photography. 

         

1867

     

Note: You must copy paste the below link into your browser.

Thanks to research carried out by Andrew Hall who has been recreating the history of trialing on the International Sheepdog News website, we learn there was an article found in the Oamaru Times dated April 30, 1867, reporting a sheep dog trial in Wanaka, New Zealand. Anyone interested in early the trialing history may wish to visit the following website address of

www.isds.org.uk/news/EarlySheepdogTrialsProject.html

and read the section entitled "Bala and Before Trials 1867 to 1873."

         

1872

 

Pearce Book Info

 

Thomas Pearce (who had the pseudonym of "Idstone") was the editor of The Field a well-known country magazine that exists even today. Pearce's book, The Dog, with Simple Directions for his Treatment, etc., included woodcut engravings by George Earl, brother of Thomas Earl, the artist that drew the 1843 puppy image (previously included within the Timeline section), but there were no collie images in the 8th edition (published c. 1888). Though he wrote about the Scotch Colley, it would appear that Pearce knew little about the Beardie-like dog, and spoke in a rather unflattering way about the English Sheep Dog (by his physical description, he likely meant what is today called the Old English Sheepdog).

         

1873

     

The Kennel Club (U.K.) was founded.

Note: One of the earliest undertakings of the Kennel Club when it formed in April of 1873 was the compilation of a Stud Book. Mr. Frank Pearce, son of the Rev. Thomas Pearce "Idstone," became the editor of this Stud Book. He was asked by the Committee of the Kennel Club if he would compile a list of pedigrees on all breeds. He undertook such a challenge. Some of the pedigrees included went back as far as 1859, and they covered the period from then until 1874 when it was first published.

         

1873

 

Monument on Property

 

October 9, 1873. Date of first recorded herding trial in Britain at Rhiwlas Estate just outside of Bala and the host and landowner was Richard John Lloyd Price.

         

1875

     

Hugh Dalziel co-authored his first book, Breaking & Training Dogs, etc.. See 1879 entry below.

         

1876

 

Art Critics

 
 

Harper's Weekly included in its Supplement, November 4, 1876, publication, a copy of Otto Friedrich Gebler's painting entitled "Art Critics." This German artist lived from 1838-1917. A blow up of the dog is shown, accompanied by a tiny image of the entire picture, in order to recognize that this dog had a beard.  Many writers talk about a shaggy dog similar to a beardie-like canine that once tended sheep in Germany.

         

1876

 

Rutherford and Jim

 

Eric Halsall wrote a book entitled British Sheepdogs published in 1992. There seems to be inconclusive evidence as to which dog won a trial held in September of 1876 at Northumberland in the Borders. According to Halsall's book, three possible winners may have won that event. One of the three names mentioned was Simon Rutherford from Blackburnhead with his Bearded Collie.

Perhaps this was the same dog named "Jim" which appeared on page 103 of Robert Leighton's The New Book of the Dog. London: Cassell & Company Limited (1907). It appears that this dog was definitely a Bearded Collie. The Collie chapter was written by James C. Dalgliesh.

         

c.1876

 

Posing

The Rabbit

In the Stable

 

Edmund Bristow lived from 1787 until 1876. He often painted animal subjects. It was said that Bristow gave advice to Sir Edwin Landseer when the latter artist was young. Three of his paintings may have included the Beardie-like dog.

It is difficult to say whether Bristow entitled the paintings. Nor is it known what date the paintings were rendered. For purposes here, we will accept the fact that the first painting was recently sold as a "Bearded Collie." (Click on "Posing.")

The second image may be the same dog catching a rabbit. But was this dog hunting for his own food, or was he ordered to "hold" the hare for his master?

The third image is cropped down from the full image (shown in its entirely in the upper left hand corner). A dog was in the stable. Was it a Beardie-like?

         

1878

 

Cover

Chapter

Page 165

Page 166

Page 167

Page 168

Page 169

 

Mr. Gordon James Phillips wrote a letter which appeared in the publication Live Stock Journal on November 15, 1878. D. J. Thomson Gray used a pseudonym of "Whinstone" when he served as the editor. Phillips' letter also appeared in D. J. Thomson Gray's chapter entitled "The Highland or Bearded Collie" from his book Dogs of Scotland, Edinburgh: James P. Mathew & Co. (1891).

A later printing of 200 copies was published; the publisher information was listed as Hepworth, Huddersfield: Dogs in Print (1989). Of those 200 copies, the assignment of the numbers 1-113 and 161-200 had a listing for each subscriber by name, etc. The subscribers were individuals, kennel clubs, and other interested parties who likely agreed to buy the book prior to the limited number being published. That meant few books (numbered 114 through 160) were available to be purchased by others after the printing took place. Fortunately, a resale copy was available for use regarding this website.

Vero Shaw (1881 below) decided to call the type of dog Phillips described as a "Scotch Bob-tailed Sheepdog" while Gray called it the "Highland or Bearded Collie."

         

1879

 

Dalziel-Corsincon

 

Hugh Dalziel used words that remain true even today when he wrote in the Introductory section of his 1879 book: "Whoever would write the history of dogs must write the history of man, for in periods as remote as history reaches we find this animal associated with him as his useful servant."

Dalziel was one of the first writers to use the written words "Bearded Colley" in a book.

         

1881

 

Shaw

 

Vero Shaw wrote The Illustrated Book of the Dog (Assisted by the Leading Breeders of the day). This book was published by Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Co. The body of work making up this book was originally published in parts from the years 1879 to 1881.

Shaw included an engraving, based upon what Gordon James Phillips described in his letter of November 15, 1878, in the Live Stock Journal (which letter was also included  in Gray's book Dogs of Scotland of 1891). Shaw called it a Scotch Bob-tailed Sheepdog. Phillips description was: a dog with a stumpy tail of six to nine inches.  Beardies were known to have a strain called "stumpies" within the breed. In fact, a few of them still exist today. It is within this time frame that we begin to see writers distinguishing the Beardie from the Old English Sheepdog.

         

1883

 

Fidele

 

A German artist, Anton Braith (1836-1905), rendered "Fidele" in 1883. One wonders, was this his own faithful dog?

         

d.1884

 

Misidentified?

 

Artists often labeled their paintings by names that in more recent times might seem inaccurate. But Beardie-like dogs had many names, and those that resided in the Borderlands, were often called Border Collies.  The date of this painting is unknown; the artist, William Huggins, born in 1820, died in 1884.  He had a great love for animal paintings. The painting entitled "Faithful Friends, a Border Collie and two Terriers in a Landscape" may, or may not, have been named by Huggins. Is the dog more Beardie-like than Border Collie?

         

d.1884

 

Willis

 

Henry Brittan Willis was born in 1810 in Britain. He died in early 1884. He often painted both oils and watercolors of farm animals. This image shows a common scene of people using their dog to drive cattle. The dog obviously has floppy ears and a tail similar to beardie-likes. This image was provided as a portion of the entire painting in order to demonstrate the type of dog often seen in the countryside. The name, date, and medium used for the original work is not known.

         

1886

     

Passing of the Crofters Act of 1886 brought an end to the Highland Clearances.

         

1886

 

Isbell Painting

 

This painting owned by Toni Teasdale was done by W. Isbell in 1886. The photograph of the painting was provided courtesy of E. Gallatly.

         

d.1886

 

Percy Painting

 

Sidney Richard Percy (1821-1886) was a British painter who painted numerous landscapes. He was the son of Edward Williams, another British landscape artist. This image is presumably taken from one of his paintings near, or on, the Island of Skye. The shepherd is tending the sheep with a dog by his side. The outline of the dog is similar to other Beardie-like dogs in that era.

         

1889

 

The Puppy Painting

 

A British artist, Charlotte Lillian Sheppard, painted a girl holding a puppy in 1889.  Was it a Beardie-like dog?

         

1890

 

Info on Rawdon Lee's Books

 

Rawdon Lee authored A History and Description of The Collie or Sheep Dog in His British Varieties (1890). This original book is extremely rare. Arthur Wardle was the illustrator; four engraved plates were included. The viewer should pay attention to what he wrote about the Bearded Collie in this book vs. what he wrote in another book published in 1894. By 1894 he would have been familiar with Gray's book entitled Dogs of Scotland.

The illustrations were by Arthur Wardle and R. H. Moore. Lee now supports the position that the Bearded and the Old English Sheepdog are the same, but that they are called by different names based upon geographical location. See 1890 Rawdon Lee entry.

         

c.1890

 

Cotswold Shepherd

 

This image is a Cotswold shepherd with his Beardie-like dog. This image was  provided courtesy of Charwynne Dog Features.

         

1891

     

Dogs of Scotland by D. J. Thomson Gray was published. The chapters can be read in the entry for 1878 above.

         

1892

 

Metropolitan Market Drovers' Dogs

 

Images often appeared in The Illustrated London News which reflected current happenings. Louis Wain (1860-1939), a British artist, did a great number of the illustrations. It is not known if Wain did the engravings of his images. This image allows us to see the types of drovers' dogs that he sketched at the Metropolitan Cattle Market. The sketch appeared in the magazine in 1892.

         

d.1895

 

Painting by Millner

 

William Edward Millner (1849-1895). This published image has been identified as being a Smithfield. The owner of the painting believes the painting represents a Beardie-like dog which was often called a Smithfield. Millner's last name is sometimes spelled with one "l." The photograph of the painting was provided courtesy of E. Gallatly.

         

1895

 

Dollman Painting

 

This painting entitled "The Best of Friends Must Part" was created by John Charles Dollman (1851-1934). The photograph of the image was provided courtesy of Sue O'Brien.

         

c.1895

 

Piping Shepherd

 

 

"The Piping Shepherd" rendered by Albert D. Fripp (1822-1895). Thanks goes to Toni Teasdale and Wendy Boorer for their assistance in locating where this artwork resided. This image was provided courtesy of V&A (Bethel Green) Museum of Childhood.

         

1897

     

Henri de Bylandt (also known as H. A. Graff van Bylandt) authored  Les Races de Chiens, etc. 1897 Bruxelles, Vanbuggenhoudt Frères. In a later edition of 1904, he included images of Bearded Collies. It is not known whether he had any Beardie-like dog images in the 1897 book.

         

1898

 

Lord Arthur Cecil's Ben

 

According to a Maureen Sale's article (see 1995), Lord Arthur Cecil's Ben was mentioned in the Our Dogs article of December 17, 1898 (reprinted December 4, 1980) as having sired 4 puppies to Mrs. Hall Walker's Bearded Collie named Stella. An image of Ben was included in the article.

         

1898

     

Owd Bob, by Alfred Ollivant, was published in England in 1898. It was also released in America as Bob, Son of Battle. In two later editions (1937) and (1947), Owd Bob was illustrated as a Beardie dog, by K. F. Barker.

         

1899

 

1899 Trial

 

Copy of actual New Comnock "List of Entries" with "Beardeds" listed. This document was given to Peter Wood, a shepherd on this website, by a member of the Paterson family.

Click here to Return to Top of Page.

 
© 2011 Innovare Design. The majority of  materials presented on this website are copyrighted by the original authors, etc. In addition, the appropriate forms have been filed with the United States Library of Congress in order to protect original authorship under 17 U.S.C. Sec. 102(a). Further, licensing fees have been paid for use of some images. Therefore, under the provisions of the U.S. Copyright Law, as well as the Berne Agreement, for those countries honoring the Berne Agreement, you are hereby notified not to use, or copy, any materials on this website without the prior written consent of the copyright holder. Questions or Concerns? Please contact copyright@shepherdswithbeardies.com or info@shepherdswithbeardies.com. These two email addresses are not presented as links. They must be retyped in the address line for your email. This was done to avoid unnecessary junk email being forwarded to the website. Thank you for your understanding.